What you'll find on Storybook Days

The Home page displays all my musings on life in Japan and a few other things (baseball and children's books are distinct possibilities). For highlights only: "A Day in the Life (edited)." "Tabemono (Food)" is exactly that. "Big in Japan" is my completely biased and oversimplified list of what is popular in Japan, and "Kimono Count" is a day-by-day record of the people I see in traditional dress. "Editor's Delight" catalogs the unintentionally amusing and apparently quite complicated world of Japanese-English translation. "Uncle Tucker" tracks our sightings of a certain cat following us around Japan.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Tokyo Accord

Two weeks is a vacation.
Two months is a lifetime.

Over the weekend, the boys and I hit the two-week mark for our Tokyo summer.  At the time, we were on vacation in Kyoto.  When we returned home to Tokyo, it was time to implement a little structure.  For two weeks, I can hang.  After that, it's time to get back to normal, even if normal means living in a two-bedroom apartment in Tokyo. 

I declared vacation officially over.  (Groans from the peanut gallery.)  I reminded everyone involved that although it is technically summer vacation, we observe certain rules year round.  Here would be no different.  (Besides, how can they complain--no piano practice and no religious school all summer regardless.)

I give you the 2012 Tokyo Accord, which is clearly posted on the refrigerator:


1-7 must occur independently.  Unwritten rule:  do not wake the Nure-onna monster (me) before 6:30.  Of course, this only gets us through the mid-morning, but that is the toughest time of day.  One day in: so far, so good.  I'll take what I can get.